TMHD Tax Hearing Fact Sheet – September 2018
1. Why is there a hospital tax – but no hospital?
The District mission is to provide quality health care for members of the community. The hospital tax is needed to: fund health care (our clinic and work toward reopening an ER, Lab and Radiology); fund board expenses; and secure and maintain the facility for future use.
2. What is our tax rate?
• Current tax rate: $0.1223200/$100 of taxable value ( $61.16/yr on a home valued at $50,000)
• 2018 proposed tax rate: $0.1293300/$100 of taxable value ($64.67/yr on the same home, or $5.39/mo. – This is an increase of $3.51/yr on this home or .29 cents/mo increase.
Note: The TMHD tax is one of the lowest in the state.
• In TMHD district the average taxable value of a residence homestead is $71,545.
• If the proposed 2018 tax rate of $0.1293300/$100 of taxable value is adopted, the amount of TMHD tax on this average homestead if $92.50/yr, only $7.71 per month.
And it is this small tax that is providing clinic service to patients here in Trinity – approximately 1000 patient visits a month in our clinic.
3. What is the TMHD Budget?
• The District has no debt. The fund balance June 30, 2018 was $1,687,427.
• THE TMHD 2019 Budget for the Year Ending June 30, 2019
Tax Revenues $740,000
Other (Rent, etc.) 137,556
Clinic, ER Start-up (Indigent Care) $910,000
District expenses $188,450
Building maintenance $277,000
Budget Surplus/(Deficit) (497,894)*
*Deficit to be funded from the reserve fund balance.
4. What is the TMHD doing now to advance health care services in the community?
Health-Point: Starting January 17, 2019, the Clinic will be managed by Health-Point which is a Federally Qualified Health Center. Health-Point will open its doors to patients on January 21, 2019. The Physicians will continue to be employed by CHI-St.Lukes. This will ensure a continued focus on quality health care and reduce the district cost to support the clinic. Board members are most enthusiastic about the measures that will be in place to continue to improve the service to our community.
Emergency Room, Lab and Radiology.
The Board is currently working with CHI-St.Luke’s and analyzing data on the cost to reopen the ER, Lab and Radiology. As this moves forward, the community will be kept informed.
5. TMHD Website. TrinityMemorialHospitalDistrict.org. Check out the TMHD website for information.